Eating slender asparagus is the perfect way to will in a new slender silhouette in time for spring. Full of folate, vitamin K and with less than 4 calories per spear, this green seasonal veggie will help put an energized spring in to your step. Create a light meal by drizzling your steamed asparagus with this incredibly nutritious, out-of-this-world kale parmesan pesto, high in heart-healthy omega 3s, anti-oxidants, vitamin C, calcium, protein and fiber.
2lb fresh asparagus, washed, ends trimmed off
1 cup fresh kale leaves, torn
1 cup fresh oregano leaves, torn
4 cloves garlic, peeled
3 Tbsp sunflower seeds
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
2/3 cup sunflower oil
- Place water in the bottom half of a steamer pot set (or in a large pot if you don’t have a steamer pot set), add some salt and bring it to a boil.
- Put the trimmed asparagus spears in the top half of a steamer pot set (or a steamer basket if you don’t have a steamer pot set), place it over the pot with the boiling water and cover.
- Allow the asparagus to steam for 5 – 10 minutes (depending on the thickness of the asparagus spears), until tender.
- Meanwhile, place the kale leaves, oregano leaves, garlic, sunflower seeds and parmesan in the bowl of a food processor and blend. Once the ingredients have been minced into very small bits, slowly pour in the sunflower oil while the motor is still running. Continue blending until it turns into a paste. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the warm asparagus spears on a flat dish and drizzle it with the pesto. Reserve any remaining pesto in an airtight jar and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.