When you’re in too much of a hurry – or when you’re just feeling too lazy – it’s good to have some healthy, impromptu, no-cook meal recipes on hand to ensure that you stick to your weight loss diet while still satisfying your taste buds, schedule and electricity bills.
Low in fat and cholesterol while high in fat-busting fiber, protein and nutrients, this spicy Mexican bean salad is deliciously filling and satisfying with virtually no effort involved.
Keep your stove off and your air-conditioning on as you dig into this colorful and refreshing weight loss meal.
High-Protein Meat-Free Meal – Mexican 3-Bean Salad
- 6 handfuls arugula leaves, washed and torn
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15oz) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10oz) package GMO-free frozen corn
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 poblano chili pepper, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 avocado, pit removed and chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Optional: ½ cup fresh grated low-fat cheese
- For the dressing:
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- Optional: hot pepper sauce
In a mason jar, combine all salad dressing ingredients. Cap the lid, shake, and then allow the dressing to rest on the counter while you prepare the salad.
In a large bowl, combine all the vegetables. Toss well with the salad dressing and serve.